Skidmore in New Zealand is a semester long program that allows students to direct enroll in one of two universities: the University of Auckland or the University of Canterbury. In addition to taking classes at the university, students can choose to focus their semester with one of two field & research tracks. All field & research tracks will begin with a 5-week field camp experience leading up to the university semester. These students will also take a research methods course based upon data collected in field camp.
- University of Auckland (3.0 GPA)
- New Zealand Earth Systems track
- Direct enroll only
- University of Canterbury (2.75 GPA)
- New Zealand Earth Systems track
- Geology of New Zealand
Skidmore in New Zealand is run in partnership with Frontiers Abroad, is a mission-driven educational organization that provides distinct science-focused academic opportunities through field curricula and study abroad opportunities for US students in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.
Unique Characteristics of Skidmore in New Zealand:
University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ
Auckland, located on the North Island and built around two harbors, is the largest city in New Zealand. If you’re looking for a diverse vibrant city life that’s within reach to hundreds of beaches, world class surfing and epic hikes, consider Auckland. The University of Auckland is located in the heart of the city, yet close to greenspace and the harbour. It is also home to the largest Polynesian population in the world.
The University of Auckland was established in 1883 and today is the largest university in New Zealand, with over 40,000 students. It has over 100 departments to select courses from and allows study abroad students to study across disciplines.
University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ
Christchurch brings a mix of old and new. This South Island city, once known for its neo-gothic architecture and gardens, is charged with the energy of change and re-growth after the earthquakes of 2011. Amongst the historic buildings that are still standing, you’ll find pop-up shops and “food forests”. Located adjacent to the Port Hills (rock climbing and mountain biking) and the beach (surfing) and close to the t Southern Alps - Christchurch is a NZ adventure capital!
The University of Canterbury has a student body of just under 15,000 students. university with 50 departments accessible by study abroad students. Students not taking the Field & Research component will enroll in 5 classes at the University
Choosing the right track for you
Direct Enroll only
– This track allows students to choose the courses that best fit their academic needs and interests. Both universities are much larger than Skidmore and good for an independent student.
Field & Research
– This track of Skidmore in New Zealand is designed for students that want to take their learning outside of the classroom. It is a mostly set curriculum that includes a five-week field camp before the campus semester starts. The field camp can be physically and academically rigorous at times and the data you collect will help shape your research when you start your semester at the university.
- Earth Systems track: An emphasis is placed on learning biological (marine and terrestrial) and environmental science field techniques. In addition, the program explores how both indigenous knowledge and western science are utilized to manage New Zealand’s natural resources.
- Geology of New Zealand track: The Geology of New Zealand Program is designed specifically for Geology majors and consists of the field camp, coupled with a semester of study at the University of Canterbury. The field camp curriculum explores the stratigraphy, mountain building, and tectonics of the South Island, and the volcanology and geothermal geology of the North Island.
Unique Characteristics of Skidmore in New Zealand
- Direct enrollment in New Zealand university classes
- Broad range of curricular choices
- STEM focused curriculum
- Research & Internship opportunities
- Field camp experience
In either location, Students will live in university apartments with local students and other international students. You can read more about housing here: http://www.skidmore.edu/ocse/newzealand/housing.php